My progress through Finnegan’s Wake is plodding along. I hope I’ll have it done by the end of the year. If not, there’s always 2018.
One thing that has slowed me down is Joyce’s use of the word “nigger.” I sludge through all sorts of vocabulary but that completely throws me off course.
It didn’t bother me in Faulkner because I expected it in dialogue set in rural Mississippi. In Finnegan’s Wake, it doesn’t make sense. Of course, nothing really makes sense but that even less so.
I was hoping for a major weight loss for my first week but running and starving only got me two pounds. It’s better than nothing or gaining but it doesn’t seem worth it.
Afterwards I had a big dinner so I probably nullified whatever progress I made.
Back in February 15, 2015, I wrote about mistaking my aquatic frog for dead. Today was no mistake.
My mother-in-law got rid of the two frogs back in June 2010. One died shortly after I took them but the other guy lasted a while.
I have so many gerbils now that I probably won’t replace him so now his tank is his cenotaph.
After my dismal failure last year, I thought about not doing resolutions at all. Instead I’ll just tone them down.
1. Run 730 miles (easier than last year).
2. 5,000 push ups and 8,000 leg lifts (same as last year).
3. Lose 26 pounds (same as last year).
4. Support 24 local artists (same as a few years ago)
5. 42 manuscript submissions (much easier than last year).
6. Write 40,000 words and five new stories (one-third of last year).
7. Read all the New Testament (basically the same as a few years ago).
8. Read The Nature of Things (new).
9. Finish Finnegan’s Wake (seven chapters easier than last year).
10. 300 blog posts (about the same as a few years ago).
Not very inspiring but I want to give myself a chance.
- Appearing Next: Eternal Damnation
- Bad joke gone worse
- Baseball cards
- Board Games
- Documentary Blog
- Legends Revealed
- Literature and Drama
- Local News
- Museum of Hoaxes
- Myth and legends
- National News
- New Year's Resolutions
- Old News
- poetic forms
- Science fiction
- semi-naked football
- Star Trek
- Straight Dope
- The Koran
- Top 100
- Topless Robot
- Weight loss
- Weird Universe
- Words that should exist
- World News
- YouTube Video